I have been tutoring alongside my academic studies and job since September 2017. I gained my Qualified Teacher Status in July 2021 and have accrued two years of experience preparing and teaching lessons and 1200 hours of tuition during this time. I have tutored many students in the following subjects:
KS3 & GCSE: General Science
- As a Teacher of Science, I taught Combined Sciences from Years 7-10 classes ranging from high to low ability. I am currently being mentored by the Head of Science to embed my subject knowledge to create fun and engaging lessons. Alongside classroom teaching, I have helped my students to improve their practical and theoretical knowledge, thus helping students to achieve and exceed their target grades.
KS3 & GCSE: Mathematics
- I have homeschooled and tutored students in this subject. In addition, I have helped students to develop and embed their skills in Maths. In addition, my work has helped students prepare for end-of-term and GCSE examinations.
11+ English, Maths, Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning.
- I have tutored students for 11+ entrance exams. As well as teaching the +11 curriculum, I have helped students to develop their confidence and interview technique for the 11 plus selection day.
13+ English, Maths, Science, Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning.
- I have tutored students for 13+ entrance exams. My background as a science teacher has enabled me to teach the 13+ science curriculum effectively.
GCSE & A-Level: Sport and Physical Education
- In PE/ Sport, I have helped many students improve their knowledge and exceed their target grades. As a sport science graduate, athlete and fitness enthusiast, I can provide specialist sports and exercise science knowledge. In addition, my work tutoring and teaching have allowed my students to gain admission to universities such as Loughborough, Birmingham and Bath.
I grew up in inner-city London, where I gained 12 GCSEs. I then completed my A-Levels in Physical Education, Information Technology and Psychology. Sport and fitness are areas that intrigued me throughout my upbringing, both academically and playing a variety. The opportunity to play various sports whilst growing up and studying PE at GCSE and A-Level gave me a strong passion for sport and fitness and inspired me to study Sport and Exercise Science at University.
After my bachelor’s degree, I wanted to inspire others to participate in sports and foster a passion for learning, so I completed my teacher training at the University of Nottingham. I work part-time in a secondary school as a Teacher of Science and tutor on my days off.
I have worked as a Private Tutor since September 2018 and have had the opportunity to work within a variety of different contexts, including assisting and mentoring podium-level student-athletes, delivering exam preparation lessons to international students, and working closely with students with a variety of special education needs (dyslexia, autism, ADHD).
My belief derives from the humanistic approach, where each child should be seen as an individual. Therefore, I tailor my lessons based on my student's needs (visual, verbal, or physical learning) so that the lesson I deliver is best suited to my student.
To promote retrieval, I plan my lessons with the end in mind, and try to break the main objectives of the lesson into chunks. In my lessons, I use retrieval practise tasks like practice questions, quizzes and creative activities so that students can apply the newly learnt information to promote long term memory retention.
I record data from the retrieval activities so that I can track progress and identify any areas of weakness, and throughout my lessons, I give students the chance to RAG (Red, Amber, Green) rate themselves based on how well they understood the information.
What I do when I am not tutoring
Alongside tutoring, I play for my local rugby team, train in martial arts and enjoy salsa dancing. Whenever I am not tutoring, teaching, or playing sports, I enjoy watching Marvel movies/series, cooking new recipes, exploring the outdoors and travelling to different countries.
''Thank you for your work with X over the past few months! X passed her entrance exams and gained a place at Nottingham High School! We appreciate you for your time, effort and patience whilst supporting her.'' (Mother of 11+ student)
''Tariq is a patient and supportive tutor. From September to January, he has helped to build X’s confidence and ability with the 11+, which led to X being in the 90th percentile and gaining admission to his school!'' (Mother of 11+ student)
''X has been tutored by Tariq since the second term of Year 5, and we can see an improvement in her confidence, and success in Maths and English. The verbal reasoning work that they have done has benefitted her end of time scores. I will be continuing lessons with Tariq until X takes our level class exam!'' (Mother of 11+ student)
''Tariq is excellent in every way - a great teacher with lots of ideas to help X better understand the concepts of maths and chemistry. He's patient and kind with X and the lessons are definitely working. The lessons have motivated X and given her such a confidence boost going into GCSEs.'' (Mother of GCSE Maths student)
''Tariq is a brilliant teacher! He goes above and beyond to make sure that X understands his lessons. He is hard working and explains information very clearly. We are so lucky to have Tariq as a tutor :)'' (Mother of GCSE PE student)
''Tariq has really helped me the last year with my revision. I had trouble in the past and I'm getting my confidence back with your lessons.'' (GCSE Science student)
''Tariq has been very helpful and has put in time and effort into helping me pass my university coursework/ tests.'' (Undergraduate Sport Science student)
''Very reliable and makes a strong effort to help me understand the work set.'' (GCSE Science student)
''Tariq is really engaging and is always thinking of different methods to assist with delivering effective lessons over zoom!'' (GCSE Science student)
''Thank you Tariq for your encouragement, patience, and positivity in explaining concepts that I found hard to grasp. Your detailed notes and use of flash cards to go over keywords and ideas were also a great help.'' (GCSE Science student)