- Project Manager overseeing online course development at the University of Michigan and the University of Oxford.
- Learning Technologist at the University of Oxford
- Extensive experience of online tutoring in IB English Literature (SL and HL) and GCE (A level) English Literature
- Online tutoring in SATs preparation Tutoring and academic support in Keystages 2-5 in English Language
- Programme Support Tutor for IntoUniversity, Oxford
- TEFL tutoring experience for Milennial China and OEP Asia
- Tutor Services Manager for an online education company
- Consultant Representative for Tute.HK (now OEP Asia)
- Intern at Whizz Education (December 2016)
- Provision of academic support for students studying AQA English Literature A-level at Xaverian Sixth Form College
- Academic support tutor for IntoUniversity, assisting primary school age children in their acquisition of numeracy and literary skills in addition to supporting older children in their preparation for the 11+ plus.
- Peer Education volunteer for the Red Cross
- Education volunteer for Brook Advisory Manchester
- Chair of education charity Aspire Oxford
I currently work as a Project Manager at the University of Michigan, USA, as a contractor for a global education company. I am a professional project manager and learning technologist working in edtech, coordinating online course development and LMS implementation across schools and higher education institutions and for corporate clients. I am passionate about experiential learning and harnessing the power of technology to make high-quality education accessible to people worldwide.
I was previously a Learning Technologist at the University of Oxford, helping university departments to transition teaching and learning over to a new Virtual Learning Environment called Canvas. I use my in-depth of knowledge of online learning methodology and the special academic requirements of the university on a day to day basis.
I grew up in Manchester in a highly musical and intellectual household - my father is a lutenist and Doctor of Psychology and my mother is a consultant psychiatrist. Intellectual vitality, books and debate were an integral part of my young life. In July 2018 I graduated with a Distinction in a Master of Studies (MSt) in English 1550-1770 at the University of Oxford, having graduated with First Class Honours with a BA in English Language and Literature in July 2017.
I have worked as a tutor manager for an online education company based in Hong Kong, a programme support tutor at an education charity in Oxford and as a private tutor. I have been tutoring for Keystone for almost 6 years. During this time I have truly come to appreciate how personalised approaches to learning facitilated by the one-to-one tutoring format can truly help students to reach their potential. All of my students have seen a huge improvement in their grades, but more importantly in their confidence. Language and literature study are not subjects which come naturally to everyone and I hope to make it not only accessible but also highly enjoyable. Nothing pleases me more than hearing from former students who have gone on to study Medicine or Law that tell me that they are still reading!
I have a strong academic record, not dropping a single mark in my English studies from GCSE to A Level and earning a scholarship in my first year at the University of Oxford. I was one of the top applicants for my Masters course and was recommended by the English faculty for a Humanities Division scholarship. A love of learning and lateral exploration is at the centre of everything that I do and in all my educational experiences as a student and a tutor, I have found that individual thinking is the core to success.
In my work as a tutor, an educational volunteer, an academic mentor and as a tutor manager for an online education company I have a nuanced understanding of the ways in which we can harness online technology to further education and child development. I have thousands of hours experience tutoring English Literature and English Language for all levels up to A-level, IB and undergraduate level in addition to teaching English as a foreign language. I am also able to provide academic mentoring, school entrance tutoring and university admissions guidance specializing in Oxbridge application and the ELAT. I can provide specialist support for students with SEN requirements and EAL status.
I find that patience and attentive listening are key skills as a tutor in enabling understanding and instilling a positive work ethic in young people. I am also alert to the fact that current examination assessment objectives demand specific techniques and demonstrations of skill from candidates and therefore that a coherent understanding of these specific exam techniques can be crucial to securing the highest grade.
I therefore adapt my tutoring to the specific requirements of each pupil in accordance with their personal requirements, and ensure that they receive the most relevant assistance possible for their course or examination.
Most of all, I feel that tutoring should be a motivating and enlightening experience for every student, as a facilitator to achieving one's highest potential
I am able to teach:
- English as a second language
- GCSE English (AQA, OCR, Edexcel)- language and literature
- AS/A2 English Literature (AQA, OCR, Edexcel)
- IB English Literature/English Language and Literature
- School entrance
- University admissions - personal statements, interview preparation, Oxbridge and the ELAT
What I do when I am not tutoring
When I am not studying or tutoring, I enjoy ballet, rowing, playing the flute, baking and painting. I was the Women's Captain of Christ Church Boat Club July 2017 - July 2018.
'Anna's constant guidance and support has helped me develop strong writing and analytical skills, improving my ability to critically evaluate English literature. When it came to essays, Anna's help allowed me to write with more flow and structure alongside a concrete theme to better express my ideas above and beyond the criteria standards of my coursework. Thanks to Anna's tutoring, my grade rose from a mediocre 5 to a strong 7 at IB Higher Level English and I couldn't be more grateful'
- Nina, IB English Literature student (Higher Level)
Anna is an exceptionally effective and intuitive tutor who has worked with our son in support of his successful application to study English Literature at Cambridge. I am sure that Anna’s support and guidance played a significant part in this outcome. Anna took the time to get to know our son and this helped her appreciate how best to support his learning needs. Anna supported him through his ELAT and in the run up to his interview and at all times was really in tune with what he needed, whether that was to be challenged, simply encouraged or persuaded to look at a text or idea from a different angle. I would have no hesitation in recommending Anna and have found her at all times to be kind, clear and extremely perceptive.'
- Ruth, mother of successful Cambridge applicant.
'Anna was one of the best tutors I've had! She always had a great passion for every aspect of her teaching and was always extensively prepared with lots of great resources for each lesson. Not only did Anna guide me in subject-based tasks but she also assisted me with writing university applications. She provided me with some excellent tips for exam technique which allowed me to perform to the best of my ability in both my final IB examinations and the mock trials. She helped me achieve my best and strive to think outside the box!'
- Henna, IB English Language and Literature student (Higher Level)
'Anna is an incredible tutor who not only taught my son the fundamentals of poetic techniques, but also kindled his interest in English literature. She masters crucial exam techniques and helped my son achieve an excellent mark in IB English, a subject he struggled with'
- Anita, mother of IB English Literature student (Standard Level)
'Anna was exceptionally helpful in helping me carry out my application to Oxford University. Not only did she assist greatly in the drafting process of my personal statement, offering extensive and insightful advice on how it could be improved; she also provided invaluable support in my preparation for sitting the ELAT admissions test. If the confidence and ability she inspired in me are anything to go by I am certain she will be a wonderful tutor to others'
- Ella, A level English student. She has since graduated from her English degree at the University of Oxford.
'Anna was an amazing tutor! She was always fully prepared for the lesson with a wide range of materials. If it wasn’t for her I wouldn’t have done so well for my IOC, other coursework and ultimately my final exam!'
- Yvonne, IB English Literature student (Higher Level). Yvonne achieved 45 points in the International Baccalaureate. She rogressed from a level 5 to a level 7 in IB English after tutoring with Anna.
'Anna's been really resourceful and helpful - she was always prepared for the lessons, but at the same time she always made sure what we were doing was helping me. Not only did she give me in depth feedback every time I gave in an essay, but she always made sure I had confidence in my ability especially in the days leading up to the final exam. Thank you Anna!'
- Joshua, IB English Literature student (Standard Level). Joshua achieved a high 6 after achieving 5s before starting tutoring.
'I owe so much to Anna as a tutor! She helped me to achieve A* at English literature at A level and I don’t think I could have done it without her as she really helped me to reach my full potential. She is so passionate about English and that really rubs off on you as a student, she helped to keep my love for English alive even through the tiring a level period. She also helped significantly increase my confidence when it came to writing essays and believing in my own ability. She really is an amazing tutor and I would recommend her to anyone who asked!'
- Jess, A Level English student. She is now studying English at the University of Durham.