• Over 4 years' and 3000 teaching hours' experience, both face-to-face and online, including Hong Kong and Singapore.
• Around 75% of my clients are online.
• Success with preparing students for interviews at all levels to schools such as Sevenoaks, Westminster, Charterhouse, Eton and Wellington.
• A Level English Literature and Language examination preparation (AQA, CIE, Edexcel, OCR, WJEC) texts include: 'Frankenstein'; 'The Bloody Chamber; Shakespeare (selected works) amongst others; selected poetry anthologies.
• International Baccalaureate - English Literature and Language (Standard and Higher Level), including experience with the Theory of Knowledge module, the Extended Essay and evaluation of a student's CAS (Creativity, Action and Service).
• (I)GCSE English (AQA, CIE, Edexcel, OCR, WJEC): Knowledge and experience of a wide range of texts including John Steinbeck's 'Of Mice and Men' and William Golding's 'Lord of the Flies' amongst others; popular poetry anthologies.
• A Level examination preparation (all exam boards): Modern British history; the Cold War in Asia; France 1814-1870; The Stuarts and the Origins of the Civil War; German Nationalism) focusing on the development of essay writing style, clarity of argument, quality of evaluation and structure. I have helped numerous students to gain confidence when writing examination answers and to develop an evaluative writing style.
• Extensive experience teaching International Baccalaureate History.
• (I)GCSE History (all exam boards): Modern British history, WW1, WW2, Cold War (general), Nazi Germany, Napoleon.
• (I)GCSE (all exam boards): Particular experience of tutoring the Christianity, Islam, and Ethics courses.
• 12+, 13+, 16+ entrance exams for top UK schools including Charterhouse; Wellington; St Edward's, Oxford.
Particular experience with Sevenoaks at all entrance levels.
• Eton King's Scholarship for History and English
• UKiset examinations
• SAT examination - all English components
• Cambridge First Placement Test - all English components
• Oxford Online Placement Test - all English components
• IELTS and OET examinations
• 11+ English and Maths (informed by Keystone's training course): ISEB School Entrance and pre-test examinations for top schools including Eton College.
• 7+/8+ English and Maths school entrance examinations (particular experience of interview and exam preparation for King's College Junior School, Wimbledon).
• Primary English and Maths
From my experience as a primary school assistant, helping young students with English comprehension and creative writing, I can confidently engage young students and nurture a love of learning.
Raised in rural Berkshire, I spent my early years balancing my education with extra curricular pursuits before developing a love of English Literature, which, with a little help from my A*AA A-Levels, led me to Durham University.
I witnessed first-hand the power of an engaging tutor during my time spent on film sets as a child and was inspired to give back the gift of learning that my own tutors had bestowed upon me.
Keystone's core values are closely aligned with my own, which motivated my three-year voluntary position as a mentor and tutor to young offenders and vulnerable young adults during my time at university. I offered academic (English comprehension and grammar, History) and pastoral support to students often facing additional obstacles such as learning difficulties. This experience taught me the power of empathy and trust when forging relationships with individuals from difficult backgrounds.
For me, the greatest reward tutoring can offer is watching a student grow in knowledge but also self-confidence. I believe effective tutoring is about delivering complex concepts in simple terms with patience, enthusiasm and encouragement. Developing strong relationships with students means that parallels can be drawn between what is being studied, and the students' own life experiences, which makes for a deeper level of understanding and, ultimately, better learning. I believe that teaching a student to be self-sufficient and resourceful in their learning is the best legacy any tutor can have.
What I do when I am not tutoring
Outside of tutoring, I am most passionate about supporting others through pro bono projects, mainly working with refugees via RefuAid and West London Welcome to prepare for UKiset, IELTS and OET exams so as to re-train in the UK and rebuild their lives. Working as a volunteer mentor for The Prince's Trust and helping disadvantaged young people as an academic mentor at Carney's Community in Battersea are also other passions of mine.
Playing the flute in an orchestra, boxing, exploring new places, and improving my Spanish are other hobbies, whilst tending to my ever-expanding collection of house plants takes up far too much of my time! Aside from this, I audio-transcribe for clients such as the police and the Home Office and enjoy the odd online learning course.
Most relevant to tutoring is my work as a Graduate Specialist Marker for Pearson Edexcel (specialising in English Literature and Language), which has afforded me an awareness of the specific skills that examiners are looking for when marking essay-based exams.
“Thank you so much for the help you gave both my children over midterm. They are considerably more confident.” (Mother of GCSE English Literature, History and Religious Studies students)
"Paige's approach to the syllabus has instilled a lot of confidence and assurance in my sister. She now has a clear idea of what she needs to do to achieve the best possible marks and the sessions have helped her focus on what she needs to do." (Brother of home-schooled GCSE English student)
“I would like to emphasise our gratitude to Paige. She has been a wonderful teacher to my daughter. Not only has she transformed her technical ability in the subject, but Paige’s passion for the subject has been infectious. My daughter, I am sure, would not have achieved her result without her. Paige goes above and beyond standard tutoring and really cares about her students.” (Mohter of A Level English student)
“I GOT AAA! I’M GOING TO DURHAM!!!!! Once again, thank you so much for everything you’ve done to help me this year. I couldn’t have got an A* in TFP without you! Many, many thanks.” (Mother of A level student)
“Paige is thorough and organized and knows her subject thoroughly. One cannot ask more from a tutor.” (Mother of Year 6 & Year 7 student)
“We are extremely impressed by Paige. She is clearly very knowledgeable and competent. She is also obviously very enthusiastic about the texts that my daughter is studying and so the lessons are upbeat and enjoyable. Paige has been going to great lengths to support my daughter with her exam revision, which is greatly appreciated, especially as school deadlines have been short.” (Mother of A Level English Literature student)
''She loved your online lesson very much. She really appreciated your great teaching and she clearly learnt some great new writing techniques.'' (Mother of 11+ Student)
“Thank you so much for everything you’ve done to help me this year. I couldn’t have got an A* in Tudor Foreign Policy without you!” (A Level History student - secured place at Durham University)
'Thank you so much for all your help over the past couple of months, I have found it to be really useful. My teacher has definitely noticed an improvement in my essay structure, and I am subsequently getting higher marks within the A grade boundary.' (A Level Tudor History student).
“A huge thank you for everything you’ve done for my daughter. You really have transformed her. I know this has taken a great deal of skill and tenacity from you. There were some really stressful moments, but you went above and beyond to help her and I have no idea how we’d have coped without you. My daughter certainly would not have achieved this grade without you. We consider this an investment for the future and feel that now she has achieved her potential at A Level, she'll take the skills learnt from you forward and have a great platform for success at university.” (A Level English Literature student - secured place at Nottingham University)
“My son was recently lucky enough to have Paige tutor him for his history GCSE exams. Paige is a wonderful and talented teacher and my son's progress and achievements in his history exams are a testament to the time, care and knowledge that Paige gave him. Over the course of a few months he grew in confidence as his understanding of the subjects expanded. His ability to express himself on the exam papers improved and he went into the final exams at school confident and relaxed. I cannot thank Paige enough for the dedication she put into helping him, she was always on time and fully prepared for each lesson. I have no hesitation in recommending Paige to parents considering some extra tuition for their children in the run up to exams or as a booster for school work. Thank you, Paige, from me and from my son. We are very grateful for your help guiding him through his history GCSEs.” (Father of Year 11 History student)
''Once again, thank you so so much for your fantastic work, she would never ever have received a grade 8 without your great lessons!'' (Mother of GCSE English Language student).
''Thank you so much for all your help over the past couple of months, I have found it to be really useful. My teacher has definitely noticed an improvement in my essay structure, and I am subsequently getting higher marks within the A grade boundary.'' (A2 History student).
''Thank you so much for all the hard work you have put into my son. He has definitely found the lessons extremely helpful and has appreciated all your help.'' (Mother of A2 History student).
''My son knows what he doesn’t like and what he does, and he very much enjoys his lessons with Paige and the learning programme seems excellent.''(Parent of an 11+ student).