-Many years experience preparing students for GCSE/A-level English, Sociology and Psychology (AQA, OCR, IB, CIE, Edexcel), as well as pre-tests, 11+ and 13+ (Uk and Overseas students) for public/private school entrance exams. My students have gained substantial grade increase, rising from predicted Cs and Ds and most achieving A grades. My past pupils have achieved successful places at the likes of St Paul's, City of London School for Girls, North London Collegiate, Westminster, Harrow, Wycombe Abbey, Down House, Cheltenham Ladies College, LEH, Tonbridge, Headington, Northbridge House and many more.
- I have had three years’ mentoring experience, helping students who may be experiencing difficulties at school and monitoring students’ well-being.
- I have taught Common Entrance and GCSE students in London, Russia, Monaco, Dubai, and I recently helped to launch a successful 11+ and 13+ Common Entrance course for 'Arch Education' in Hong Kong. In this role I was a full time Common Entrance teacher and Educational Consultant. I was also responsible for assessing pupils and giving detailed feedback to clients, as well as continued review and assessments of student's performance throughout the course.
- I completed a four month full-time residential placement teaching a home schooling curriculum in Russia to two girls aged 8 and 10, in line with a top London private school. Placement included teaching their parents 'English as a foreign language' lessons.
- I was an English and Common Entrance specialist for a top tutoring agency in Dubai for 6 months.
- I also teach A-level Sociology and Psychology with a previous student moving from a predicted D to an A grade, and achieving a place at her top choice University. I have also helped two students with Personal Statement preparation, and they gained offers at every University they applied for.
- Before tutoring full-time, I tutored on a part-time basis alongside my own studies with three London tutoring agencies, teaching a number of students from year 5 to University level in subjects such as entrance preparation for University, stage and drama schools, GCSE Science, Maths, History, Geography, Sociology, and Drama; and A-level English, Sociology and Psychology. Students have all markedly improved. Specialist subjects include: Common Entrance English 8+/11+/13+/16+ Year 4-10 English GCSE, AS & A Level English GCSE, AS & A Level Sociology GCSE, AS & A Level Psychology GCSE, A-level and University/Professional Drama Entrance into Top UK Stage & Drama Schools GCSE & A Level Interview Preparation, Media Studies Degree level Psychology, Sociology and Acting/Drama Other work experience.
- I completed a six month teaching placement in Peru, teaching English and Drama under the company INABIF, who work with street children and Orphanages to improve literacy and numeracy skills. Here I had experience working with children with SENs. In addition, I led workshops under the umbrella of social services and the Department of Health with 15-20 children in care.
I have over fifteen year's tutoring experience. I specialise in English and Humanities and most of my students are preparing for school entrance examinations, GCSEs or A-levels. I have an extremely high success rate at helping students gain successful places at a number of prestigious private day schools and boarding schools, such as Harrow, St. Paul's, Wycombe Abbey, LEH, Tonbridge, Highgate school, Sevenoaks', Cheltenham Ladies College, Headington, Westminster and Winchester school. I have a degree from LSE and a Masters from the University of the Arts, as well as holding a distinction pass CELTA qualification, enabling me to teach English as a foreign language. I am also a certified therapeutic practitioner working with children who are having a range of emotional issues in schools. I am extremely passionate about the importance of education, and this enthusiasm rubs off on my students. I also teach Drama as an acting coach, as well as Psychology at AS and A level.
A good tutor is one that can ground students with a solid foundation in understanding of the subject, as well as arming students with sharp exam technique and ability to think critically and independently under exam conditions. A tutor should be clear, calm, methodical and also ignite the students' determination to achieve in a particular discipline. My lessons are fun and engaging, as well as results driven!
What I do when I am not tutoring
As well as being a therapeutic practitioner in schools, I am extremely interested in the arts and regularly visit the theatre, art galleries, opera and cinema, and I occasionally write on a freelance basis. I am also a trained actor qualified to teach actors in the Malgram-Laban method.
"Just a quick line to say how impressed we are with Mia. She was just lovely, and clearly knows her subject and CE inside out. My son took to her straight away, and we feel very lucky to have found her! Skype worked really well too, don't know why I was worried!" Mother of previous student.
"My son is really benefitting from his lessons with Mia. Mia is very thorough, goes over his answers before the lesson begins and gives him very good feedback on how to improve his technique and hence answers. My son feels he is learning a lot from Mia. Thank you very much for finding us such a great, committed tutor." (Mother of 13+ Scholarship student)
'Dear Mia, I am so happy to tell you that both Harrow and Tonbridge have offered me a place!' - 13+ student
I just wanted to say how incredibly grateful we are for all the work you have done over the last couple of years. Your help and encouragement has made all the difference, as her results show! You have been a real inspiration to her. Thank you, thank you.' - parent.
'Just got my results and got an A in sociology, off to Bristol!!! Thank you so so much for everything I can't thank you enough and couldn't have done it without you!! ' - student
'Thank you for all the support you have given me over the last few months (or more) and I want you to know that I gave it my best shot and think I did well. I also want to let you know that I wouldn't have managed to achieve what I have without your help.' - Student, (Harrow 13+ applicant)
'Thanks so much ! Lincoln is loving it !! He found the class very useful and practical as Mia gave him lots of practical tips for improving his English e.g.Mia helped him analyse his written work, shared with him the answer, analysed and explained to him the difference and provided him with some practical golden rules !! he just loves this practical approach and he felt that he had learnt a lot.'
'Thank you for your comprehensive assessment and advice with Alex' - parent (11+)
'Hayley found the course interesting and useful. She enjoys it also she will be a little teacher to teach me and my hubby the materials she has in class so as to reinforce her learning.' -parent, (11+ Common Entrance Course Hong Kong)
'Charlton finds the course helpful, intensive and enjoyable. He said Mia gave a good guidance and a lot of input.' parent, (Common Entrance 11+ course)
'I am very happy with Frederic progress and Mia's coaching.' - parent, (Common Entrance 11+)