- Over 20,000 hours teaching, tutoring and examiner experience in both private and state education
- Assisted over 10,000 students during 14 years of teaching and tutoring
- Member of The Tutors Association, fully qualified, practicing teacher with a PGCE and QTS, hold BA (Hons) and MA (Econ) in the subject I teach (Sussex and Manchester Universities)
- Trained to teach in Institute of Education (UCL)
- Went to Highgate School for Boys, Teacher Training done in QE boys (Regularly Top of League Tables and Consistently rated Outstanding by Ofsted), regularly help pupils at Eton, Cheltenham Ladies and many more top schools and taught at best IB school in the world (ANI)
- A-level, AS level, International A-level (GCE) (AQA, OCR, Edexcel, Eduqas (WJEC), Cambridge)
- GCSE, iGCSE (AQA, OCR, Edexcel, Eduqas (WJEC), Cambridge)
- IB (International Baccalaureate) (Trained at ANI, rated Best IB school in the World)
- Pre-U (Cambridge)
- Experience with Common Entrance (CE, ISEB) exam including Harrow scholarship with my most recent candidate getting the highest mark in History and second highest in Philosophy and Ethics
- Previously Education chairman for Highgate School Old Cholmelians Education Committee
- Worked with Select Committee for Special Education Needs, was Research Assistant to Estelle Morris MP (Secretary of State for Education) and helped develop SEN Code of Practice
- Worked for Holocaust Education Trust in House of Lords
- Helped create piece on The World Tonight (BBC Radio 4) about unfairness of exam cancellation arrangements 2020
- UK and International teaching experience
- Initiated reform of New Zealand Foreign Teacher Registration process
- Author of the successful book “How to Write Any Essay and Get a Top Mark”
- Philosophy for Children trained continually take part on Continuing Professional Development (e.g. Safeguarding, Pedagogy, Subject knowledge and Assessment training)
- Worked in Private and Public sector prior to beginning teaching career up to management level
Hi, my name is Andrew and I’m a fully qualified experienced senior practicing teacher with 14 years experience in teaching, and 10 years experience as a tutor. I’ve been an examiner since 2009 and worked for Ofqual as a subject expert for a number of years. I also have extensive SEN experience, and understand SEN, being dyslexic myself.
My broad experience in life, teaching and examining allows me to quickly identify where students need the most assistance, helping them to build the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to succeed.
I strive to be approachable and reassuring in order to create an atmosphere where my students feel comfortable sharing their challenges, and ensuring they know I’m there to help.
My specialism is offering subject knowledge enhancement and exam skills including more focused tutoring for those crucial moments like exams, assessments and coursework however I also offer long-term, general tutoring for students who need broader support throughout the school year.
Helping students gain a better understanding and connection to their subject is very rewarding and I’m proud that my tutees report a 2-grade improvement on average with 80% achieving an A* or the grade they were looking for.
Here are a few key facts about me:
- current 6th Form school teacher (PT);
- specialise in teaching & learning and exam & study skills, essay marking service and quality assurance, course revision, SEN specialist;
- specialise in common student problems such as: feeling lost / confusion; loss of enthusiasm; difficulties with understanding concepts; challenges with existing teacher; issues writing essays; problems with exams; wanting to get an edge / improve / excellence;
- I provide added value and am proactive e.g. I have an open door communication policy, I am always thinking about how I can help further and I send extra curriculum material after most sessions to consolidate and expand your learning as necessary;
- home schooling and private candidate support.
A-level, Pre-U, IB, International A-level (KS5)
GCSE, iGCSE (KS4)
Special Educational Needs and Home schooling
Other needs considered
Once we are in contact, we will work out a plan of action and a regular session time in the first session. You will receive regular updates on how the student is doing. We will focus on knowledge acquisition, other support and what to do with all this knowledge, i.e. how to write excellent essays or answer questions or whatever your situation requires.
Here’s what I can help you with:
- Teach you the course and help with essays and exams
- Support with questions and emergencies including educational consultancy
- Send extra information about the course from an extensive database of resources gathered over the years and that contains enough help to get you an A* on any of the subjects I teach, this includes a collection of essays from over 14 years of teaching to refer to and use
- Use of the best technology (AV equipment, Ultrafast wired Broadband, Online Whiteboard and other enhancements)
- Produce a report about the student’s progress regularly and advise on further actions
I can also help you with:
• Course knowledge, comprehension, revision, full teaching or catch-up
• Essay advice, structuring, feedback/marking, editing and improving
• Exam preparation and success
• Theory of Knowledge
• Extended essay writing
• TOK Presentation
• Career advice, work experience support, interview practice
• Undergraduate PHD and essay structure help and edit
• Support throughout university
• Masters PHD dissertation support
• Providing education consulting, SEN advice and support in disputes with school / university
• Other needs catered to, just ask!
I have been tutoring online since 2016 and it has always proven to be extremely effective. I’m happy to now offer all my classes online which allows you to get the most out of our lessons, I am able to devote the time I would be travelling to and from you to provide a better service. I use the best technology (e.g. up to date HD Audio Visual equipment, ultrafast wired broadband, online whiteboard, screen sharing, a document camera and other enhancements) and I provide an exceptional learning experience that cannot be matched by face to face tuition.
I’m available online for your convenience from Monday to Friday and on weekends (during peak times) from 9AM to 7PM. Please note I am unavailable during the following periods: 1st-7th November, 20th December-2nd January, 1st-7th March, 1st-7th May and 1st July-31st August.
What I do when I am not tutoring
I like to listen to podcasts, watch sci fi movies and play xbox with my wife. We also like to go for walks with the dog. We both live in between Warminster and London and are committed to being here for the next five years at least.
Andrew was an absolute godsend when my daughter was working on her EPQ. He was extremely knowledgeable and was able to guide her through restructuring the essay. He was very organised and was completely up to speed with the work she had done before the session. My daughter wrote all the dissertation herself, however, his input on where the essay needed more focus and content was invaluable. He was extremely kind to fit her into his schedule as we contacted Keystone Tutors only days before the dissertation was due. We were delighted and very lucky to find a tutor with such expertise. Thank you so much Andrew. (Parent of a Year 12 student)
"The lesson with Andrew was fantastic . He is great and even these few sessions are going to be a huge help." (Mother of Year 13 student)
''Hi Andrew, it's Emily. I got my results back today for RS and I got an A*! I'm really really happy it's fantastic news and I wanted to say thank you so much again for all your help and encouragement I can't describe how grateful I am! Thank you again, Emily''
I hope you are well!
Thank you so very much for inspiring J M to roll up her sleeves and get to work!
Thank you for igniting in her the drive to move on the next level of her academic development and work on becoming an independent, analytical learner.
Your methodology and your approach are a perfect fit for her. The analytical frameworks and the content you provide her are invaluable.
It’s a joy to watch her recent progress. She is taking ownership of her learning and it shows in the pride and enthusiasm she now demonstrates.
With all my gratitude and warmest wishes,
''Thank you Andrew for helping my daughter with her revision and exam techniques for A level Philosophy and Ethics. You quickly identified where she required the most assistance and helped her with her confidence too. You were very flexible with sessions and always replied promptly to any messages. It was lovely to meet you. She achieved the grades she needed and is now off to university!'' D
''Andrew was very proactive and helpful in identifying the topics that Izzi needed covering. Sending additional material to help consolidate tricky concepts. His communication has been prompt and feedback effective. He was friendly and approachable and helped Izzi gain the required confidence to go into her exams with a greater understanding of what is being asked from the exam format. I can thoroughly recommend him for A-level tuition'' N
''Thank you Andrew for tutoring me during my gap year. I was very pleased with the help you provided on how to structure my essays and the detailed feedback you gave my work which you felt would boost the grade. I liked that you used your own examples to explain some of the concepts like religious experiences. I felt that this as well as your guidance on structure helped me to make logical arguments and counter-arguments during my exam...and overall I was pleased with the support you gave me. I was very happy with my results seeing as I improved from a C to an A, and I am grateful for your help in achieving this grade. Thank you again!'' L
''Andrew was excellent, my son found it good. He tells you how to write an A* essay. He breaks it down so you can understanding it better and he gives good analogies.'' M
''A great teacher with very good subject knowledge he is even more useful as a tutor because of his experience as an examiner with the board I am studying. He is also patient and reassuring with any topics that seem difficult at first sight so I have been happy with the service provided.''
''Rating: 5/5 - Within a few months of tutoring with Andrew, I was able to improve my D grades to A grade work in philosophy and politics. Andrew has great knowledge in these subjects and is able to simplify hard topics. As an examiner, he was able to solve my difficulty in understanding the vague mark schemes and finding model answers. Andrew showed me exactly what an A* essay looks like and how I can achieve it by correcting my essays and turning them into model answers himself. This made me realise how achieving A/A* grades is much easier than I thought! This was also my first experience of online tutoring, I was very skeptical at first but quickly realised how time saving and useful it can be. I am still able to hand write essays and receive feedback from Andrew by email before even starting the hourly skype sessions. This way I feel supported throughout the whole week.'' M
''Very Good and very professional! An expert in his field and Exactly what we were looking for!''
''Dear Andrew, She got a 9!!! Thanks so much for your help.'' R
''Andrew really clicked with my son, to the extent that he actively looked forward to their sessions. Thank you for your help, professionalism and flexibility, you worked wonders. Thank you for all the extra support you gave him outside of the revision. I hate the expression but he is now in ‘a much better place’.'' S
'Andrew assisted my daughter with A-level Politics for a year. She came in with a grade B in her AS politics and was struggling to grasp the subject knowledge. However, with Andrew’s methodical approach and experience of being an examiner...she began to understand the subject and connect with it. Andrew is always happy to mark extra essays and always responds promptly with what went well and how to improve. With his help she consistently achieved extremely high marks in her Politics essays and eventually went on to achieve a strong A* in her A-level Politics (353/400). I definitely believe that my daughter gained greater confidence in the subject and analytical skills through his genuineness and professional approach to teaching. An exemplary tutor and I recommend him to anyone seeking to improve in A-level Politics.' P