- 11+ English and Maths: ISEB and public school exams
- 13+ English: ISEB and public school entrance exams
- GCSE/IGCSE English (all exam boards)
- GCSE/IGCSE History (all exam boards)
- A-level English (all exam boards)
- A-level History (all exam boards)
- Oxbridge Admissions (English)
- English Literature Admissions Test (ELAT) preparation
I tutored full-time throughout the academic year of 2016-2017, during which I helped students gain entry to top schools at 11+ and 13+ level. At the same time, I taught pupils studying English and History at KS3, IGCSE/GCSE and A-Level, and continued doing so on a part-time basis throughout my Master's. I am also an extensively experienced online tutor, having tutored pupils variously based in Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Berlin, Montevideo, and elsewhere; as a result, I am well aware of how to maximise the effectiveness of online lessons.
Oxford has nearly always been my home, having been where I was raised and where I eventually attended university. I left the Cherwell School with A-Levels in English Literature (A), History (A*), and Drama & Theatre Studies (A), before making the short journey into the heart of the city to read English Language and Literature at Mansfield College, Oxford.
After completing my degree, I tutored full-time for an academic year before undertaking a research Master's at Queen's University, Belfast, during which I specialised in Irish poetry. After completing this in 2018, I relocated to London and began working as a Professional Tutor for Keystone.
I believe that best results are achieved when students are given the freedom to formulate their own opinions, before having these sensitively challenged. Asking testing questions is central to my approach in every lesson, and I aim to equip my tutees with an intellectual confidence that will serve them well in tricky exams and beyond. This approach also demands flexibility on behalf of the tutor and, as a result, I always make sure to tailor lessons and schemes of work according to the exact requirements of each pupil.
What I do when I am not tutoring
I have a real love of writing, and have published poems in several literary journals and magazines. I am currently putting together a pamphlet of these that will (I hope!) be published in the near future. When away from my work, I might be found playing or writing about rugby, strumming on my guitar, or going to the theatre.
"Fantastic teacher - my son loved it and looks forward to continue with James! Thanks a lot."
- ''James is full of energy while delivering his lessons. James listens very well and appreciates ideas put forward by my son during the lesson, which is very encouraging. My son really looks forward to learning in the lessons and views James as a role model. As a parent, I have already seen a positive trend.'' (The parent of a former tutee who studied KS3 English.)
- ''James has been punctual, professional, plans the lessons and makes them interesting, which facilitates the learning. James has an obvious passion for the subject which reflects in his teaching and is benefiting my son, who enjoys his lessons.'' (The parent of a former tutee who studied GCSE English.)
- ''James is professional, patient and hardworking. He is well prepared for each lesson and my son is always looking forward to the next one. I strongly recommend James to parent who is looking for a trustworthy English tutor.'' (The parent of a former tutee who studied KS3 English.)
- ''James is a very impressive man - articulate, personable and straightforward.'' (The parent of a former tutee who studied A-Level History.)