I have been tutoring for three years and I have taught close to 30 students (from primary school children to adults):
• (I)GCSE English (AQA, CIE, Edexcel, OCR, WJEC)
• (I)GCSE French (AQA, CIE, Edexcel, OCR, WJEC)
• (I)GCSE Spanish (AQA, CIE, Edexcel, OCR, WJEC)
• (I)GCSE Italian (AQA, CIE, Edexcel, OCR, WJEC)
• A-Level English Literature (AQA, CIE, Edexcel, OCR, WJEC)
• A-Level French (AQA, CIE, Edexcel, OCR, WJEC)
• A-Level Spanish (AQA, CIE, Edexcel, OCR, WJEC)
• A-Level Italian (AQA, CIE, Edexcel, OCR, WJEC)
• Degree level (French and Spanish)
• English as a foreign language (TOEFL, IETLS, CPE)
After finishing my studies at Oxford University and plunging into the corporate world, I realised my passion for learning and academia had not abated. While working in sales, carrying the responsibility of ensuring the profitability of multi-million-pound clients, I found the best way for me to enjoy myself in my spare time was teaching others. Realising that I was unable to find the same passion and enthusiasm I had for teaching from elsewhere, I decided to dedicate myself fully to teaching, though my exposure to the business world ensures I am well-placed to teach languages with a business focus. I strive to impart my passion for learning to my students, making lessons fun and engaging.
I have extensive experience teaching children from as early as 3 years of age, both online and in-person. I find that my patient, encouraging approach is well-suited to teaching younger students, in addition to adults.
I am an incredibly patient teacher and strive to make the student feel as relaxed as possible as learning can be a daunting process.
I make the lessons detailed and thorough so that they are the most valuable use of the students' time, but I welcome students' feedback if they prefer a different format at any point. Everyone has different requirements and I discuss this with the student from the first lesson.
I am well-read, abreast of current affairs and familiar with the latest linguistic developments. I also thoroughly research answers to my students' questions if I feel the immediate answer has not been detailed enough. I like to reinforce what we have covered in the lesson with homework.
What I do when I am not tutoring
I always find it difficult to break away from a good book. I read on a wide range of topics, from sociology, psychology, technology, history and fiction.
With dual nationality (British and American), I have been moving around to different countries from a young age, and my love for travel continues. Travelling is a great way to meet new people and learn new things.
1) Helena has been working with my daughter who is studying for her French A level. She is very thorough and thoughtful targeting her teaching to the needs of the pupil. She is patient and very good at explaining grammatical points and backing up the theory with practical examples. She has a lovely manner and makes the lessons very enjoyable. I would highly recommend Helena.
2) Great professional attitude to her work with a fun sunny delivery
Good follow up after each lesson.
3) We are very happy with the results our son has received from his GCSE Exams (A*- English Literature). We strongly recommend Helena for anyone interested in English.
4) Great tutor! Highly recommended.
5) Helena is a very intelligent, knowledgable, and patient tutor. My daughter very much enjoys conversing in Spanish with her. Highly recommended. K
6) Profesional, cheerful, and charismatic.
7) From the conversation I had with my daughters they both enjoyed the first lession but especially your teaching style ; it will be a pleasure to continue working with you.