2020 - Present
Master of English, Eton College (Windsor)
• Within the English department at Eton, I teach IGCSE Cambridge Language and Literature, in addition to Pre-U English Literature at Sixth Form.
• I am an assistant in a boarding house and my co-curricular activities include shooting, beagling and polo.
• I am currently an examiner for IGCSE English and IB English.
2016 – 2019
Head of Research and Teacher of English, Bedford School for Boys
• As Head of Research, my role comprises of researching areas of school strategic interest and to support others in conducting action research within the school environment.
• Within the English department, I have designed and delivered schemes of work for GCSE English Literature, GCSE English Language, A-level English Literature and IB Language and Literature.
• At KS3, I have created resources for a comprehensive programme of study, including standard lesson plans, internal assessments and a modular project.
• I am a vertical tutor and have supported students choosing GCSE and A-level/IB options, applying to university through the UCAS system and writing their personal statements.
• I also run the English Society and a Book Club to encourage our students to engage with literature outside of the classroom.
2014 - 2016
Head of English, Christ the King Aquinas
• In this position, I taught A-level English Literature, A-level English Language and Literature, A-level Media Studies, A-level Drama and A-level Geography; alongside IGCSE and Functional Skills English Language.
• As Head of Department, I also had to line manage and provide leadership to the English department, which included mentoring, conducting performance reviews and feeding back to the senior management team.
2014 - 2016
Researcher, Eton College
• In this role, I worked on a two-year research project funded by the LSEF, which investigated the strategies utilised by independent schools to ensure their pupils achieve top exam grades and secure places for their students at Oxbridge and Russell Group universities.
• I was paired with Eton College and worked closely with their English department: undertaking lesson research, teaching at Eton and hosting exchange days at my base school.
2013 - 2014 Teacher of English, Brampton Manor Academy
2012 - 2013 Teacher of English, Sharnbrook School
With ten years of classroom teaching experience, I am adept at working closely with young people to help them achieve their goals. Having taught across both the State and Independent sectors, I have worked with students from a range of backgrounds and of varying ability. Nevertheless, I whole-heartedly believe that all students have the potential to excel, regardless of their starting point. I am currently teaching at Eton and I also Master in Charge of the school's provision of country sports, including shooting and beagling. My teaching ethos revolves around a passion for English Literature and, by working on a PhD thesis alongside my career, I have maintained and promoted a love of the subject
My approach to tutoring is based on enquiry-led learning, which means that I use strategies that prioritise independent and critical thinking skills. These are the mainstay of my teaching approach and I would look forward to working with your child in this manner.
What I do when I am not tutoring
I am currently very busy in my spare time working on my PhD in English Literature. However I also thoroughly enjoy going to the theatre, attending book clubs and running a literary society for book collectors.
“Kayleigh was excellent and just what he needed to get himself organised around note taking”- Mother of a 15 year old boy (Eton College)
''She is so helpful. We are very happy with Kayleigh.''- Mother of a 12 year old boy (St. Philip's School)
''He has bloomed under your tutelage and came to list English as one of his top favourite subjects - a high accolade indeed''- Mother of a 16 year old boy (Bedford School)
''I have noticed that A is improving in English comprehension. He likes Kayleigh and she does a good class for A.''- Mother of a 10 year old boy (Eaton Square)