• Year 7-11 GCSE Maths (Edexcel, OCR)
• Year 11 GCSE Economics (OCR)
• Year 12-13 A-Level Economics (AQA, EDEXCEL A&B, IB HL, CIE, Pre-U)
• Year 13 UCAS, Thinking Skills Assessment and interview practice (Cambridge)
• OCR GCSE Economics Associate Examiner (Marker)
• AQA A-Level Economics Associate Examiner (Marker)
• Year 12 Mentor
During my time in a school, I taught Year 7-11 GCSE Maths, Year 11 GCSE and Year 12-13 A-Level Economics. Alongside classroom teaching, I carried out a number of smaller, focused group or one-to-one sessions to help students really understand any theory they were struggling with in lessons or to push them beyond this level to reach the top grades.
In addition to my in-school experience, I have tutored Year 4, 5 and 6 English and Maths, Year 7 Maths, Year 10 GCSE Maths, Year 11 GCSE Geography, Year 12 and 13 A-Level Economics and Year 13 A-Level Geography. I have also been working with a Year 13 student on revision skills for RS and History of Art A-Levels.
I am a Teach First Ambassador and worked in my placement school for three and a half years as a Maths and Economics Teacher. During my time there I was Head of Economics, a Teacher Development Co-ordinator (responsible for teacher training across the school), a member of the Sixth Form Tutor Team (helping students with UCAS, personal statements, organisational skills and subject issues) and part of the school’s Leadership Development Programme.
I am a committed and passionate teacher who strives to build knowledge and interest in subjects through the use of current affairs and theory in practice.
Land Economy MA, II.i, University of Cambridge, Peterhouse College
PGCE (Secondary Education), Institute of Education
A-Level subjects (Wycombe Abbey):
- Economics A
- Maths A
- Geography A
- General Studies A
AS Level subjects (Wycombe Abbey):
- Further Maths A
- Spanish B
- Critical Thinking B
As a result of teaching a large number of students, both in a classroom and one-to-one setting, I am aware that not one method works for every pupil and therefore have a wide range of resources and techniques for teaching different topics.
I enjoy using current affairs to hook students into a subject before focusing on key content and theory.
What I do when I am not tutoring
I am currently a full time-tutor.
I very much enjoy living in London and taking the opportunity to go to museums and exhibitions. My favourite museum is the Victoria and Albert Museum.
When I am not teaching, I enjoy spending time cooking and baking.
Rose has been an outstanding A level Economics tutor. The disruption of the pandemic had resulted in our daughter becoming completely disengaged from her A levels. After a disastrous end of year exam ( grade E) we knew that drastic action was needed to get her back on track. As soon as Rose started teaching, we knew our daughter was in safe and very capable hands. In just 6 weeks they had covered the entire first year syllabus and the exam resit grade rose from an E to a B. The upward trajectory continued, and the final A level grade was an A*. Not only is Rose an excellent teacher but she was also able to read my daughter in a way that she knew exactly what was needed to enable her to fulfil her potential. She was extremely kind and patient whilst expecting the very best efforts in both tutorials and in set work. Initially, when confidence levels were rock bottom, she managed to instil enough confidence in my daughter so that she knew that all was not lost and she was still capable of achieving a high grade. Having achieved such a great result, our daughter is now planning on studying Economics at university. We highly recommend Rose as an A level tutor – she is truly exceptional. - Mother of an A level Economics student (Summer 2021)
"The first lesson with Rose went well; I enjoyed our discussion". Land Economy Cambridge applicant from Singapore
- “Rose has been an outstanding A level Economics tutor. The disruption of the pandemic had resulted in our daughter becoming completely disengaged from her A levels. After a disastrous end of year exam ( grade E) we knew that drastic action was needed to get her back on track.
As soon as Rose started teaching, we knew our daughter was in safe and very capable hands. In just 6 weeks they had covered the entire first year syllabus and the exam resit grade rose from an E to a B. The upward trajectory continued, and the final A level grade was an A*.
Not only is Rose an excellent teacher but she was also able to read my daughter in a way that she knew exactly what was needed to enable her to fulfil her potential. She was extremely kind and patient whilst expecting the very best efforts in both tutorials and in set work. Initially, when confidence levels were rock bottom, she managed to instil enough confidence in my daughter so that she knew that all was not lost and she was still capable of achieving a high grade.
Having achieved such a great result, our daughter is now planning on studying Economics at university. We highly recommend Rose as an A level tutor – she is truly exceptional.”
Year 13 Edexcel Economics Summer 2021 A - applying to study Economics?
- “Before I met with Rose, as an international student, i was really struggling with writing level 5 essays. However, since i met with her, i have been constantly developing my knowledge about the A-Level economics topic as well as my essay writing. She really helped me to improve my level from A to A*. Now, i am very excited to see my economics grade on results day.”
Year 13 OCR Economics Summer 2021 A* - Place at Warwick to study PPE
- ''Rose has been an essential part of my A-level Economics. As an international student, my weak spot has always been essay writing, but with Rose's help, she was able to build up my confidence and helped me secure an A* in my final exam!”
Year 13 Edexcel Economics Summer 2021 A* - Place to read Economics at UCL??
- “Thank you very much for your teaching and help in the last two years! Without your teaching, I am sure he couldn't have achieved an A in Economics, especially during the pandemic and school being closed.’
Year 13 Edexcel Economics Summer 2021 A - Place at UCL to study Law
- “Rose has been a huge source of encouragement to my daughter during her final A level year and these difficult times. She has really helped her prepare and given her huge confidence in the run up to this Summer’s CAG assessments.?
Rose has always been totally reliable and my daughter has really enjoyed her sessions . Rose explained things clearly and in a way that made it easily understandable and gave my daughter more confidence in her own capabilities.?
We would highly recommend Rose to any prospective pupil.”
Year 13 Edexcel A Economics Summer 2021 A - Godolphin and Latymer - Geography at Exeter
- “My daughter said Rose can give the the insight of Economics and she now knows some basics of this subject. Rose also taught her some simple topics during the lesson. Thanks for introducing her to us.”
Year 10 student in 2021 having introductory sessions to economics before making her A Level choices
- “My son said Rose was excellent in getting to the nub of what he understood and didn't understand, and helping him with that. If possible he would definitely use her again!”
Year 12 Edexcel A Economics Summer 2018 - Eton
- “Excellent tutor with very good knowledge of the subject and the different styles of the exam boards. Great clarity in lessons. Extremely well organised with a good set-up of online, screen marking and feedback via interactive platform.”
Year 13 Edexcel A Economics 2017-2018 - A* in 2018 exam series St Paul’s School
- “Rose tutored my daughter, Emily, for her Economics A-level. Rose was calm, patient, encouraging and from their first meeting they established a brilliant working relationship. Emily loved her sessions with Rose who taught her a lot and gave her the confidence to believe in herself. I would not hesitate to recommend Rose and would be very happy to speak to anyone who was looking to employ her services. She is an absolute star!”
Year 13 Edexcel A Economics 2017-2018 - B in 2018 exam series Sherborne Girls
- “Rose helped me understand economics and the TSA exam at a much deeper level which helped me really enjoy the subject a lot more as well as improved my critical thinking and my
Year 13 Edexcel A Economics 2017-2018 - Waldegrave School Sixth Form - A* in 2018 exam series taking a place at Warwick University
- “Rose tutored our son for A Level Economics. Her approach was structured and thorough, confirming a deep basic understanding of the fundamental topics before building on this foundation with more detail. Her pleasant, approachable disposition made each session a very positive learning experience.”
Year 13 Edexcel A Economics 2017-2018 - King’s College School - A in 2018 exam series
- “Rose helped me understand economics and the TSA exam at a much deeper level which helped me really enjoy the subject a lot more as well as improved my critical thinking and my approach to problem solving. She gave me confidence whilst challenging me and provided great revision resources. Thank you Rose!”
Year 13 Edexcel A Economics and Land Economy preparation (TSA and interview) 2017-2018 - A* in 2018 exam series Wellington School - taking a place to reading Economics at LSE
- “Mrs Rainsford was incredibly helpful in the short time I had with her before my Edexcel economics exam. Her knowledge of the exam board was invaluable. I couldn't recommend her more highly for anybody having difficulty making the subtle changes needed to secure a top mark in their exams.”
Year 13 Edexcel A Economics resist 2018 - Westminster School - A in 2018 exam series for a place at Edinburgh University
- “I have you to thank for the A* so thank you!”
Year 13 AQA Economics 2016-17 - Alleyn’s School, Dulwich - A* in 2017 exam series - applied to American universities
- ''Lucas said Rose was excellent in getting to the nub of what he understood and didn't understand, and helping him with that. If possible he would definitely use her again!''
Year 12 Edexcel Economics 2018? ?
- ''I was performing at a D grade in Economics when I asked my father to employ a tutor to help, so that I had the required grade for moving on to University. My tutor Rose has made me a more confident and analytical student when it comes to applying my economic knowledge down to paper, where she has helped me become the A grade student I have always been aiming for. She has been able to cover every aspect of my Economics syllabus and more. Rose is very positive and she is concise in her explanations yet with a broad outlook, making our Skype sessions very engaging. I could not ask for a better tutor and will miss her classes very much!”
Year 13 Edexcel B Economics 2017 - Dunottar School for Girls - A in 2017 exam series
- “I worked with Rose towards my Economics A-level. She helped me improve my understanding in challenging areas of the syllabus and develop my exam technique. Rose was very helpful in always answering my questions and able to go beyond the syllabus to explain challenging concepts.''
Year 13 Edexcel A Economics 2017 - Private girls boarding school - B in 2017 exam series
- “Rose Rainsford tutored my daughter during the Easter holidays prior to her Economics A Level. She was struggling with this subject, particularly writing the essays required. Rose worked with her over three sessions of three hours. My daughter found Rose’s calm dissection of her difficulties enlightening and felt that she sorted out “the wood from the trees”, highlighting areas on which to focus. The result was an A and we were all delighted. At AS level she had not done as well. I recommend Rose Rainsford warmly.”
Year 13 Edexcel B Economics 2017 - Bryanston School
- ''Working with Rose has allowed me to make sense of my ideas and materialise them into the cogent piece of work I knew my essay had the potential to be” - Predicted an A.
Year 13 IB Extended Economics essay 2017 - St Paul’s
- “Rose assisted me in my preparation for Land Economy through mock interview sessions. She is extremely meticulous in her work, planning the mock interview sessions carefully to maximise every minute with me. Her pleasant demeanour makes it easy for me to converse with her, and her probing questions opened up new levels of understanding—an essential skill for the interview. I highly recommend Rose for students looking to pursue Land Economy at Cambridge.”
Mature student - Offered a place to read Land Economy at The University of Cambridge, Hughes Hall College 2017
- “Rose was a really great teacher. She made Economics surprisingly fun and extremely clear. She gave me confidence whilst challenging me and explained to me where I went wrong, no matter how long it took! Overall, one of the best tutors you could have.”
Year 12 Resit student for university offer at Bristol - AQA Economics 2017 - A in 2017 exam series
- ''My son needed at least a B in Economics at A level to meet the minimum criteria of his preferred university courses. We engaged Rose, who helped him grasp the conceptual side of Economics - the aspect he had been struggling with the most. He also found her to be very helpful with improving his exam technique. He has been getting lots of positive feedback on structure ever since. More importantly though, his predictive grade has risen from a C to B. We're very grateful to Rose and would highly recommend her as an Economics tutor.”
Year 12 Edexcel A Economics 2017 - Stowe School - B in 2017 exam series
- “Rose was a great Maths tutor. My son was a good Maths student but not as confident as he wanted to be with the more complex problems. Rose was exactly what he needed. He said she explained things very well and always had lots of questions for him to practise on. I appreciated her monthly updates and overall professionalism. I highly recommend Rose as a GCSE Maths tutor. We would have loved to use her again at A Level if she tutored at that level.”
Year 11 OCR GCSE Maths 2017 - Westminster School
- “She is extremely professional, has established a great rapport with Makram. She has also been extremely flexible about teaching him the US methods and has done a fantastic job building his confidence, skills and enjoyment of the subject.” 2017
“Rose worked with my son for about a year and a half. She was always extremely professional and very knowledgable about her subject. She was flexible in her teaching methods and always adjusted to what my son needed. My son enjoyed working with Rose very much and she helped him to make good progress in Math.” - 2018
Grade 6-7 US system Mathematics 2017 - 2018 American School London
- “I believe the chemistry between the two is absolutely amazing. Cannot thank you enough for finding her. According to Jocelyn, Rose is a much better teacher than the teachers at school.”
Year 5-6 11+ preparation 2017 - Old Vicarage School (offered a place at Putney High School)