PLEASE NOTE that I am a full-time, self-employed, online-only professional tutor. In other words, tutoring is a vocation to me and not something I just do to support other activities or interests. Since I registered with Keystone in March 2012, I have been selected to tutor 203 students to whom I have given 2,965 hours of one-to-one online tuition (up to December 2016). These data would be meaningless if they were not substantiated by Keystone’s official records and supported by genuine testimonials from students and parents like you.
As a professional online tutor, I have been acknowledged by Keystone in their 2016 Summer Newsletter as online tutor ''supremo” (Oxford Dictionary: “A person with great authority or skill in a certain area”), and Keystone’s Director of Education ''called upon'' my “vast knowledge” (sic) on online tutoring to see if I could contribute to their Training Programme for Professional Tutors. I am grateful to Keystone for their appreciation.
Besides knowledge and experience, I include in the lessons an excellent online classroom environment connected to the Internet through high speed broadband, whilst I tutor from the quiet place where I live in the Wentworth Estate, using two 2016 Apple MacBook Pro laptop computers, the WizIQ virtual whiteboard (with a personal account), Skype or FaceTime for audio and video, a Wacom Intuos Art pen & touch tablet, and Powerbeats-3 earphones with microphone. As a backup system, I use Notability or Preview with screen sharing on Skype.
---------- SUBJECTS AND LEVELS:
11+ to 16+ CE, Non-CE, ISEB, ISEE and Scholarship Maths and Physics
I/GCSE, A-level, pre-U and IB Maths and Physics
American SAT Reasoning Test, SAT Subject Tests (Maths and Physics), PSAT and ACT tests.
---------- DEGREES AND POST-GRADUATE COURSE (Graduate Courses at the bottom of this page):
Ph.D. in Marine Science (Applied Maths and Physics), College of William & Mary (Williamsburg, USA), with research assistantship and tuition fellowship awarded by W&M.
Two M.Sc. degrees in Physical Oceanography (Bangor, UK, and Buenos Aires, Argentina).
Post-graduate course at the Isaac Newton Institute (University of Cambridge) on Flow instability, Chaos and Turbulence.
---------- AS SCHOOL TEACHER AND TUTOR:
Eton College, taught Maths and tutored in Physics (blocks F, E and C) (2014).
Greene's Tutorial College, Oxford (2013)
St James Senior Boys’ School, taught Maths (years 8, 9 and 13) (2012).
Win Tennis Academy, Bisham Abbey, Buckinghamshire, Director of Education Programme (2010).
---------- AS ONLINE TUTOR:
Since I registered with Keystone in March 2012, I have been selected to tutor 203 students to whom I have given 2,965 hours of one-to-one online tuition (up to December 2016).
Since I started tutoring online in 2008 whilst living in Marbella, I have given online tuition to students living in 25 different countries in Europe, Asia and America, with different cultural backgrounds, personalities and ages. This rich experience allows me to welcome and empathise with any new students.
Tutoring experience also includes boarding students from Eton, Sevenoaks, Cheltenham Ladies', Rugby, Windermere, Roedean, Malvern, Brighton, St Mary’s (Calne) and Shrewsbury, as well as a student who at the age of 13 achieved an A (83%) in his Cambridge (CIE) Maths IGCSE.
---------- WITH ADMISSON AND SCHOLARSHIP EXAMS:
Previous students received offers from Charterhouse (Scholarship), Rugby (Scholarship), Radley (Scholarship), Westminster, Wellington, Hampton, Harrodian, Kingston Grammar, Uppingham, Brighton College, Tonbridge and Sevenoaks. Other students progressed significantly at school, excelled at exams or went to their first choice university (e.g. Imperial College, York).
From 11+ to 16+, exam experience includes Eton (KS), Harrow (S), Charterhouse, Winchester, Sevenoaks, Cheltenham Ladies', Rugby, Wellington, Kingston, Dulwich and many others.
Interviewed at Princeton University (USA) and offered to join the Physical Oceanography group.
British Antarctic Survey, Cambridge (UK), Senior Physical Oceanographer.
Royal Military College of Canada, Physics Department, Physical Oceanographer.
Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory (UK), Physical Oceanographer.
My great grandparents emigrated from Italy (Torino and Positano) to South America at the dawn of the 20th century, hence I received my first education in Buenos Aires. And even though I cannot prove ancestry, the mathematician and astronomer Giovanni Glorioso (1572-1643), who succeeded Galileo in the Chair of Mathematics at Padua University in 1613, has been a rich source of inspiration.
I followed a career as research scientist in Mathematics and Physics applied to Oceanography in the UK, USA and Canada, which culminated with a summer in Antarctica as senior oceanographer for the British Antarctic Survey (Cambridge). More recently, I decided to dedicate most of my professional time to tutoring, a highly meaningful and rewarding way of helping students to achieve their best. I know, as I have experienced, that tutors can make positive, life changing contributions through education.
Sports I practiced include sailing, rugby and golf. Related to sailing, I once implemented a mathematical model of the SW Atlantic that produced information on ocean currents for navigators on a Volvo Ocean Race.
---------- SCIENTIFIC ACHIEVEMENTS:
* Demonstrated the possibility that oceanic eddies may transport biological species from South America to Antarctica across the Antarctic Circumpolar Current barrier.
* Implemented the first mathematical model of currents and tides in the SW Atlantic and calculated that 10% of the energy dissipated by tidal friction in the Earth-Moon system takes place on the Patagonian shelf. The total energy dissipation causes a gradual increase in the Earth–Moon separation (3.8cm/yr) and the duration of the day (2x10-5 sec/yr).
* Established the existence of tidal fronts - the fundamental phenomena that sustain rich marine ecosystems - in the SW Atlantic and described their implications by means of computer modelling and sea and satellite observational data.
* Described the ecological importance of residual tidal current on top of submerged seamounts in the NE Pacific.
* Implemented a dynamically coupled atmosphere-wave-ocean computer model and described inertial currents produced by the passage of low-pressure atmospheric centres in the North Sea.
For publications and articles, you may copy & paste into GOOGLE the following words: glorioso and patagonian and tides and fronts and antarctic and pacific and eddies
My personal approach begins with assessing the students’ academic strengths and weaknesses, and follows by developing a working relationship with them to ensure the desired outcome, matching lessons with their learning style, by introducing material in the format best suited to them and thus enhancing their learning.
This approach is based on effective communication and constant feedback, providing the students with a sense of positive personal interaction, increased self-esteem, self-efficacy and self-regulation. These are characteristics that lead to success in and beyond school.
Regardless of the level of the students, I help them with Maths and Physics from the fundamental to the more advanced topics, e.g. from fractions to calculus and from Newton’s Laws to quantum phenomena, with the same degree of passion and dedication.
In all my lessons, I emphasise the use of metacognition, knowing that planning, monitoring and evaluation – the essential metacognitive skills – help pupils progress towards their goals, whilst they receive feedback and their plans can be re-evaluated periodically.
What I do when I am not tutoring
I enjoy listening to classical and Anglican music, reading British and colonial American History, and long walks by the River Thames, the Virginia Water Lake and the Wentworth Estate.
My recent blog posts
11/04/2016: Online tutoring FAQs
19/01/2016: 13 Year Old Student Thomas Talbot-Garman Achieves an A in IGCSE Maths
26/06/2015: What is Education?
---------- 11+ to 14+ CE and scholarship exams ----------
• Keystone: ''My daughter really enjoyed her lesson with you on Saturday. She described Pythagoras' Theorem to me very well and explained how you had shown her what the Theorem means in geometric terms and how she could calculate the length of the third side of a right-angled triangle, given the lengths of the other two sides. Thank you! It is good to see her enthused about her maths!'' (mother of 13+ Maths online student, UK, 2016)
• Keystone: ''I am very grateful to you and would like to share with you the great news (we have just received the emails): our son has been awarded two academic scholarships, from both Rugby and Radley! Thank you very much for your time and support!” (mother of 13+ Maths online student, Hong Kong, 2016)
• Keystone: ''Daniel, thank you so much, your tutoring was indeed a great experience! Our son is very happy and so are we!!!! (he received an offer from Wellington College)'' (father of 14+ Maths online student, France, 2015)
• Keystone: ''We found out today that our daughter got into Sevenoaks. She was even invited to sit for the Scholars’ exam. So, a very big thank you from all of us to you for your help and support.'' (father of 13+ Maths online student, Hong Kong, 2014-2015)
• Keystone: ''What an amazing experience that internet classroom brought to my son tonight. After the class, my son told me he likes Daniel so much and he wants to continue to study with him. Thank you so much to Daniel for all his help.'' (mother of 13+ Maths online student, Hong Kong, 2014-2015)
• Keystone: ''It was an amazing experience for me and I enjoyed it a great deal especially as it was my first online lesson.'' (13+ Maths online student, Hong Kong, 2014-2015)
• Keystone: ''Dear Daniel, today is our happiest day ever - my son has been admitted by Tonbridge School. I want to say many thanks for your great help and for teaching our son. His success would have not happen without your help. We as parents want to show our gratitude to you and I don't know what to say to describe my feelings.'' (parents of 13+ Maths online student, Hong Kong, 2014-2015)
• Keystone: ''Thank you very much for your support for my son. He got the Academic Scholarship to Charterhouse!'' (mother of 13+ Maths online student, Japan, 2013-2014)
• Keystone: ''Daniel is an amazing teacher with extensive knowledge. He has helped me with Math as well as exam techniques and logical thinking for my place at Brighton College. He teaches systematically with innovative teaching aids like diagrams, real-life implications and PowerPoint slides. He spends a lot of time in making sure that I understand the concepts of the problems as well as spotting out my weak points and fixing them up. His teaching has helped me get into my desired school in England and I have to admit that Daniel’s lessons have become the highlight of my school week!'' (13+ Maths online student, New Zealand and Hong Kong, 2013)
• Keystone: “You have helped me hugely, I am so grateful for all the time and effort you put in teaching me Maths, and like I said it was the first time I was able to enjoy Maths. I will try my best from now to always do the best in school and what ever I do and thank you for also helping me build up my confidence in test papers and obviously the subject of Maths. I hope you carry on helping many students achieve everything you helped me achieve and possibly more.” (13+ Maths online student, UK, 2012-2013)
• Keystone: ''My son has been tutored by Daniel and it has made a significant difference in his Maths performance. The one-to-one attention and Daniel’s thoughtful encouragement have helped him to understand better how to tackle different question types and there is no doubt that his exam technique has improved considerably. I’m confident that the tutoring has contributed to his success in assessments as well as his overall approach to his work which, I’m hoping, will have been evident at interviews.'' (mother of 11+ Maths online student, UK, 2012)
---------- I/GCSE and 16+ exams ----------
• Other: ''Thank you so much. He got A* on Physics.'' (mother of IGCSE Physics online student at Winchester College, 2016)
• Keystone: ''Thank you so much for enabling me to be accepted to all of my 4 schools (Rugby, Wellington, Shrewsbury and Cheltenham). I am very proud of this achievement, it really wouldn’t have been possible without your excellent teaching!'' - UPDATE: Thank you so much, I got the only A* in my class and couldn't have done it without you!!!!!!!!! (CIE IGCSE Maths result received)'' (16+ Maths online student, Saudi Arabia, 2015-2016)
• Keystone: ''Just letting you know that our daughter received an A in additional maths, which was the highest grade possible. Pretty fantastic considering her mark in her mocks was a D. Many thanks for your work with her. We are delighted with the outcome.'' (parents of GCSE Maths online student, Cayman Islands and UK, 2016)
• Other: ''I learn more Physics with you in one hour than I learn at school in one year.'' (IGCSE Physics online student at UK top public school, 2016)
• Keystone: ''We just wanted to say thank you for all the help that you have given our son. We have seen not only a big improvement in his Maths but also in his confidence and belief that he can tackle Maths and all his other subjects well.'' (parents of GCSE Maths online student, UK, 2013-2016)
• Keystone: ''I would like to take this opportunity to express my heartfelt thanks to you for helping my daughter with her Maths. She finds your lessons very helpful. In fact, she would like to add a couple extra lessons during the Easter break.'' (mother of pre-IGCSE Maths online student, Hong Kong, 2016)
• Other: ''Thank you for helping me with my preparations for my exam. Today I got a letter from Westminster; they have invited me to the interview.'' UPDATE: offer made by Westminster School and accepted (16+ Maths online student, Belarus, 2015)
• Keystone: ''Clearly the work with Daniel paid off!! - My son got 100% in his recent Maths test.'' (Mother of IGCSE Maths online student at Aiglon College, Greece/Switzerland, 2015)
• Keystone: ''I got a B in Maths and I was only two points off an A! Without your help I was getting an E, so thank you!!'' (IGCSE Maths online student, Italy, 2015)
• Keystone: ''Daniel has been teaching our son for the past two months, via the online tutoring method, in preparation for his IGSCE Maths exam this May. Daniel's infinite patience and kind encouragement helped our son clarify the fundamental concepts and regain his confidence in Maths. He now looks forward to his sessions with Daniel and is even contemplating taking AS Maths later on so we wanted to thank Daniel very much indeed for all his help.'' (parents of IGCSE Maths online student at Eton College, UK, 2014-2015). UPDATE: ''Today is the results day, and I just got mine back. Maths was an A*, with 85% in both papers. Physics was an A, but only six marks away from the A* boundary. I am absolutely thrilled with both of these results, especially given my confidence and predictions just a few months ago. I am most grateful for your kind help and support.'' (student of IGCSE Maths online student at Eton College, UK, 2014-2015)
• Keystone: ''I very much enjoyed working with Daniel, I feel very comfortable with him. He seemed very open, willing and helpful. We started working together on new topics and everything is clear, I really like his way of teaching.'' (16+ Maths online student, Italy, 2014)
• Keystone: ''Daniel was a perfect match for my son as he really helped build his confidence and keep his attention for the full 2 hour sessions every day. The tutoring online worked out perfectly too. Having had a few Maths tutors in our time - I can confidently say that I would highly recommend Daniel to anyone looking for help to boost confidence and knowledge and do all of this whilst we were in a completely different country from him!'' (mother of GCSE Maths online student at Aiglon College, Canada/Switzerland, 2013-2014)
---------- A-level and IB Programme ----------
• Keystone: ''Daniel has been a very patient and well experienced teacher of AS/A2 Level Maths. He has explained every detail clearly to me and I have learnt a lot from him. I really enjoyed having lessons with him!'' (A-level Maths online student, UK, 2014-2015)
• Other: “We would like to express our sincere thank you for your help with my son's A levels - he has been confirmed a place in the Imperial College London Dept. of Physics.” (parents of A-level Maths and Physics online student, UK, 2013-2014)
• Keystone: ''Daniel has been very helpful to my daughter, giving her back her love of Maths.'' (mother of IB Maths online student, Bahamas, 2013-2014). UPDATE: ''I just wanted to check in and say thank you for all the awesome help you gave me in IB Math SL. I'm halfway through my sophomore year at Pomona College where I'm majoring in Biology.'' (IB Maths online student, Bahamas, 2013-2014)
• Keystone: ''I am very thankful for the help that Daniel has given me in OCR-MEI mechanics. I had no understanding of the topic prior to my tuition and Daniel really assisted me in building my knowledge of the subject and technique for answering the exam questions. The tutorials built my confidence and I did better than I had initially thought possible in my exam!'' (A-level Maths online student, UK, 2013)
• Keystone: ''Daniel was a fantastic teacher, and in only 3 sessions helped me transform my Mechanics 1 mark from C to A. I wholeheartedly recommend him for his knowledge, passion and enthusiasm for the subject.'' (A-level Maths online/residential student at Eton College, UK, 2012)
• Other: “The first time I took Maths AS I was not well prepared and got “U”s in C1, C2 and M1. Then I started studying with Daniel and got three “A”s after just two months of hard work.” (A-level Maths and Physics student, Spain, 2009-2010)
---------- Home schooling ----------
• Other: ''Daniel has been an excellent teacher and tutor to my 12 year old child. His knowledge and life experiences make him a great teacher who makes learning interesting. He brings the subjects he teaches to life by using practical applications to the lessons. I know my child has really enjoyed being taught by him and listening to stories of his adventures. His feedback and communication back to us as parents is the best I have experienced and my child has flourished under his guidance.'' (parent of high performance tennis player KS3 home-schooling tutee, UK, 2010-2012)
GRADUATE COURSES TAKEN AT UNIVERSITY:
Ph.D. – College of William & Mary, USA:
Physical Oceanography, Computing and Programming, Estuarine Hydrodynamics I and II, Geostatistics, Remote Sensing, Chemical Oceanography, Geological Oceanography, Biological Oceanography, Dissertation (thesis available at the U.S. Library of Congress).
M.Sc. – University of Wales at Bangor (Bangor University), UK:
Elementary Dynamics, Chemistry of Sea Water, Further Dynamics, Applied Sonar, Waves I and II, Underwater Acoustics, Numerical Modelling, Sediment Transport A and B, Tides, Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Turbulence and Mixing, Advanced Dynamics, Theory of Measurement, Shelf Sea Structure and Circulation, Practice of Measurement, Dissertation (thesis available at Bangor University).
M.Sc. – Buenos Aires Institute of Technology (ITBA), Argentina:
Mathematics I to V, Mathematical Methods, Physics I to IV, Mechanics, Probability and Statistics, Computing, Geometry, Chemistry I and II, General Electronics, Stability, Physical Oceanography I, II and III, Navigation, Fluid Mechanics, Underwater Sound Propagation, Marine Geophysics, Marine Chemistry, Marine Biology, Marine Geology, Meteorology for Oceanography, Instruments and Equipment, Technical Drawing, Coastal Engineering.