Like the rest of the country, we have been rocked by the unfolding crisis caused by COVID-19. We are especially aware of the disruption caused to families across the country by measures such as the closure of UK schools and limits placed on movement outside the home. Scaling up a comprehensive online offering is naturally a huge task for schools. In particular we have heard that many schools, as yet and entirely understandably given resource constraints, are unable to offer live teaching interaction, with a large amount of provision involving self-study before being reviewed by teachers.
We have been teaching remotely for more than a decade and want to do what we can to support families in this time, in particular through offering live online lessons to students. We are therefore offering the following service to families affected by the virus.
Small online classes in the core curriculum led by some of the UK’s best tutors
We are offering Maths and English classes for children aged 7-16, and Science lessons for children aged 13-16.
We shall be offering these in classes of 5 – 7 children.
These classes will be charged at £10 per hour. For children of key workers these sessions are free. For those who cannot afford £10 per hour, we are operating a ‘pay what you can afford’ model, which will be assessed on a case-by-case basis and can be as low as £0.
Classes will be conducted on Zoom and taught by tutors who are some of the most experienced in the UK at online teaching.
Small classes in broader subjects for families
For families who want to extend their children’s learning beyond the curriculum, we are also offering classes in a broader range of topics than just Maths, English and Science. If your children – or their parents or grandparents! – have always wanted to learn about something, but had never found the time, please get in touch.
Tutors will pitch these lessons knowing that many parents are looking for constructive activities to keep children occupied and engaged whilst parents are trying to maintain their own jobs. Here are just some of the courses our tutors can provide:
- Public-speaking courses: write your own Ted talk, deliver it, record it
- The Great Books: choose a Classic (e.g. https://willorrewing.com/tag/great-books/) or read and discuss a Shakespeare play or learn to recite great poetry or be introduced to a great wisdom text such as the Bible or Koran.
- Creative Arts - e.g. painting, drawing, singing, music appreciation, opera appreciation, art appreciation
- Learn a Language
- Financial literacy courses for children – what is money, what is debt, what is the stock market, etc.
- Learning Unbound, e.g. taking curriculum subjects off syllabus and really letting loose, e.g. History of the Civilization; the Ascent of Man; the Renaissance; the Israel-Palestine Conflict; Physics for Future Presidents (https://muller.lbl.gov/teaching/Physics10/PffP.html) etc
- Write like a professional: how to improve your writing; how to write the perfect email, essay etc
If you are interested in joining our classes please fill out this very short form.