A brief summary of which subjects require aptitude tests is below but make sure to check on the Oxford and Cambridge University websites which will have the latest information as well as specific advice and recommendations.
Listed below are the aptitude tests used by Oxford for popular courses. Please note that if you are studying a combined subject, you may have to sit two tests and it is worth checking this on the Oxford University website.
- Biomedical Sciences: Biomedical Addmissions Test (BMAT)
- Chemistry: Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA)
- Classics: Classics Admissions Test (CAT)
- Computer Science: Mathematics Admissions Test (MAT)
- Economics and Management: Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA)
- Engineering Science: Physics Aptitude Test (PAT)
- English Language and Literature: English Literature Admissions Test (ELAT)
- Geography: Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA)
- History: History Aptitude Test (HAT)
- Human Sciences: Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA)
- Law: Law National Admissions Test (LNAT)
- Materials Science: Physics Aptitude Test (PAT)
- Maths: Mathematics Admissions Test (MAT)
- Medicine: Biomedical Addmissions Test (BMAT)
- Modern Languages: Modern Languages Admissions Test (MLAT)
- Oriental Studies: Oriental Languages Aptitude Test (OLAT)
- Physics: Physics Aptitude Test (PAT)
- Philosophy and Theology: Philosophy Test
- PPE: Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA)
- Psychology: Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA)
The lucky souls who hope to read the following subjects currently do not need to sit aptitude tests at Oxford: Archaeology and anthropology, Biochemistry, Biological Sciences, Classical Archaeology and Ancient History, Earth Sciences, History of Art, Theology and Religion.
- Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Celtic: Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Celtic Admissions Assessment (ASNCAA)
- Asian and Middle Eastern Studies: Asian and Middle Eastern Studies Admissions Assessment (AMESAA)
- Economics: Economics Admissions Assessment (ECAA)
- Engineering (including Chemical Engineering via Engineering): Engineering Admissions Assessment (ENGAA)
- English: English Literature Admissions Test (ELAT)
- Geography: Geography Admissions Assessment (GAA)
- History: History Admissions Assessment (HAA)
- History and Modern Languages: History Admissions Assessment (HAA) and MML at-interview assessment
- History and Politics: History Admissions Assessment (HAA)
- Human, Social, and Political Sciences: Human, Social, and Political Sciences Admissions Assessment (HSPSAA)
- Medicine: Biomedical Admissions Test (BMAT)
- Natural Sciences (including Chemical Engineering via Natural Sciences): Natural Sciences Admissions Assessment (NSAA)
- Psychological and Behavioural Sciences: Psychological and Behavioural Sciences Admissions Assessment (PBSAA)
- Theology, Religion, and Philosophy of Religion: Theology Admissions Assessment (TAA)
- Veterinary Medicine: BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT)
- Computer Science
- MML - History and Modern Languages
- History of Art
- Land Economy
- Modern and Medieval Languages
You can view details on the Cambridge website as to what the at-interview assessments entail.
Please do get in touch if you are looking for a tutor to support in preparing for aptitude tests. We have a number of tutors with extensive experience of the various tests, many of whom will have sat the tests themselves. Our Oxbridge tutors are available to students outside of London and in Singapore via our online platform. To find out more about sitting Oxbridge aptitude tests in Singapore, click here.
Sign up to our newsletter to be kept up to date about our latest news and offerings.